Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Break = Work

Spring Break seems to have been a lot of fun for the kiddos and a lot of work for Jason and I. Last Saturday we picked out the stones we wanted for the flower bed wall we were planning to do in the front yard. We bought 140 stones at 25 lbs. each and had lots of fun unloading them out of the back of a truck!The area for the flower bed.

But first, it was time to prepare the area for the pool to be set back up. This time we decided to do it right the first time. We dug ALL the grass and roots out, then Jason leveled the edge to place the landscape boards. Believe it or not, that takes a lot longer than you would think!

Two fascinated onlookers

After the boards were placed, we moved to the front yard to take advantage of the still shady area. This picture was taken before we fully dug the grass for the bed. We still had about 1/4 of the bed left to dig.

I guess I went back and took a picture of the pool area. This is before we dug the center to start leveling it. Anyone who lives near us would understand what it is like working with our "dirt." I don't know that you can really even call it dirt. Our neighbors across the street call it cement. It's very clay-like and sticks to everything... your shoes, your tools, etc...

On Friday, it was time to start laying the stones, another very time consuming job. Jason did most of the work for that, I just helped where I could.

While we're working hard, the boys are doing what they're supposed to be doing... being kids!

Making progress, slowly but surely.

It was one of those days where everyone was dirty and yucky, so we decided to let Pizza make us dinner.

(Yes, I took a picture while Gaven was saying the prayer... shame on me!)



Since the wall has curves, there are a few stones that have to be chiseled in order to fit. We were finally able to see what the finished product will look like. As you can tell in the picture, it's getting dark out. We didn't have enough time to glue the top layer to the bottom layer before the rain was set to move in early Saturday morning, so the REAL finishing touches will have to wait for some sunny weather.

On a side note, our tree is blooming. We're just hoping it didn't decide to bloom TOO early because we're supposed to have some pretty cold nights these next couple days.

Making my last trip down to the end of the road to dump the dirt/rocks. On the way back, I had an extra passenger.

I'm sure I will post more pictures when we get around to finishing everything.

2 comments:

Parks' Place said...

Wow! you guys are hard workers! Your yard is going to look great, it's going to be the envy of the neighborhood!

Robin Conner said...

I had fun catching up on your blog! The camping trip looked so fun! I bet your boys loved that! And way to go on getting your yard ready and pretty for the summer! The flower bed looks awesome! It will be fun to see it all finished with pretty things planted inside!