Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Missing Money

The other day, I got an email notification that Braeden's school lunch balance was getting low. I found it odd that I was notified about his account and not Carsen's, since Carsen has actually been at school more than Braeden so far this year. I didn't think much of it (mostly just because it didn't make sense to me) and wrote a check to send to school with him the next day.
I mentioned something to Jason about it and it was then that he told me about how Braeden said something about having ice cream at lunch. Jason had a whole conversation with him about it that I hadn't heard. It all started to make sense... They were letting my 5-year old decide if he wanted to have ice cream at lunch time. After talking with Braeden about it a little bit more, he mentioned that he didn't get it every day. "It's just sometimes... like when I don't like my lunch and I'm still hungry for a little more." My response: "Oh, okay, that makes PERFECT sense!!" He wasn't in trouble because he had never been told... shoot me if I didn't think I would ever have to tell my Kindergartner not to buy ICE CREAM at lunch. Does anyone else think that it is insane that they let a 5-year old make this decision??
So in the end, we figured out where the missing money had gone. I found a way to look at his transaction history, and he was right, he only got ice cream about once a week... for all I know, he probably got it every time it was offered, it's probably just offered once a week. If not, I commend him for his will power to resist it all those other days!!

8 comments:

Bridget said...

My 5 year old sometimes decides not to eat very much for breakfast. He discovered that if he goes right to the lunch room when he gets to school then he can get breakfast. "They just give it to you if you're hungry, Mom!" No they don't honey. "Yes, they do!" Did they ask you your name? "yes" and your class? "yes" Then they are writing your name down and you do have to pay for it.

So, yes, it's nice that kids can get something to eat if they are hungry...BUT it ticks me off just a little bit because the kid is refusing to eat at home. For me, it's a discipline issue. We've talked about it and NOW my son realizes that he is paying for these lunches.

Maybe we should be SO excited that our boys are learning that they have the power to affect their lives. And we just need to train that natural desire.

Thanks for your post. I just realized there is some positive to this. You've caused me to think today.

Eric and Aubrey said...

We had the same issue - with bottled water. "The teacher let's us drink it in class!" I was checking out transaction history and realized that a dollar of my good money was going down the drain all too often. Like you, Isaac didn't get in trouble because he didn't know, but he now takes the same water bottle everyday that we fill up at home - for free!

Cailean said...

That is pretty funny! And pretty cute. I bet it's once a week because what kid could resist!!!

Cassidy said...

That is funny, and weird. I can't believe they let him get it too!

Debbie said...

What a smart boy my grandson is...who wouldn't choose to have ice cream when offered!! Go Braeden!!

Lewis Family said...

Our school has to have a parents consent for them to get any of the lunch time accessories... I let my boys have it on Tuesday and Thursday. Braeden is no dummy!

Andrea McEntire said...

Bri- do not get me started! They sold snacks ALL the time in Galveston! Ridiculous unhealthy snacks...parents on welfare giving the overweight nearly diabetic children $5 a day just for cookies, ice cream, chips etc. Ugh! I could go on...excuse me while I get off my soap box now.

Robin Conner said...

Bri-hilarious! Same here! Here they call it the "al-la-cart". So he has 2 money accounts. his regular lunch account and then this other account. Where they can buy ice cream, chips, crap!!! Ethan's money was disapearing too! Till I figured that out. Also, the breakfast thing. He'll go in and eat there and the money evaporates into thin air! UGHHH!!!