Monday, February 9, 2009

Down and Out

We've been a little down and out for the past week and a half. Last Sunday, Braeden was coughing really bad, so I gave him a cough strip. Carsen was begging me for one, too, trying to convince me that HE was sick, too. He literally cried and whined for a cough strip all day long. My response was always to tell him to quit his whining and fussing that he wasn't sick. He told me his tummy hurt, so I explained that cough strips wouldn't be for tummies anyway. I was in the kitchen cooking dinner around 5pm when Carsen came around the corner moaning and groaning. I started to open my mouth to tell him to stop, and at the same time he started to tell me that he needed me to hold him. He didn't even get the whole sentence out before he puked all over my kitchen floor! The first words out of his mouth were: "See, Mom, I DID need one!" (referring to the cough strip) Needless to say, I felt a bit guilty for putting him off the whole day, telling him that he was fine. He really WAS sick, I just chalked it up to the fact that he wanted a cough strip because Braeden had gotten one. (We were thankful we hadn't tried to make the trip to church that day) While the other 2 boys were being a bit needy, I found a lot of scenes that looked a little something like this:
Monday and Tuesday we had a little more of this:
And a whole lot more of this:
Braeden was home from school Monday and Tuesday, then we thought we were out of the woods. No more puking, no more fevers . . . still just coughs. They're still cute even when they're sick! Gaven even had a few fevers mixed in throughout the week, on top of getting 3 of his pre-molars at the same time.
Friday night, Braeden woke us screaming at the top of his lungs. You see, you better believe that if Braeden is in discomfort, the whole house is going to hear about it. He was complaining that his right ear hurt and he was having really bad tummy pains. After treating his fever and more screaming, crying and tossing and turning, he finally fell asleep on the couch at 3am. I took him in Saturday morning and sure enough the Dr.'s words after looking in his ear were: "It doesn't look good in there at all!"
I called Jason to let him know we would finally be on our way home. His response was: "Carsen just woke up from his nap with a fever." Come on already. I thought this was last weekend's news! Anyway, another Sunday passed with Jason, Braeden and Carsen home sick (luckily Gaven and I made it out to church).
I hadn't realized that we were so low on Tylenol (Gaven had dumped out 1/2 the bottle last week when his negligent mother left it open on the bathroom counter), so I drug poor Carsen this morning (with a fever), after dropping Braeden off at school, to Walmart to get more. He was okay with it when I told him we would get some popsicles, too.
On the bright side, Gaven is healthy again, I have yet to get sick, and Braeden is at school today doing much better since he's been on the antibiotic! Here's hoping all of you are happier and healthier than we've been!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

It really stinks to be sick. Tell your boys we hope they feel better real soon and yes, responding to your comment from like a month ago, I'll let you know first (after my parents) what the baby is. We find out next Monday!

Debbie said...

My sweet boys!! They need BIG hugs and kisses from Grandma!!
XXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOO Soon those will be in person!!

Andrea said...

you're one tough momma. quit gettin sick everyone!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

We've missed Braeden in primary. He sure is a cutie!

Robin Conner said...

Goodness you've had a fun 2 weeks. I hope you don't get sick after all of this. It's no fun to have the kids better and then mom gets sick.

Laura Oler said...

It sounds so much like our week -- all sorts of various illnesses that Alicia and I have missed so far, but we thought we were out of the woods by Sunday (started last Monday), and went to church and then Katia threw up all over her primary classroom (and my van on the way home). She's home again today, but I think she's OK. Hope you guys are all back to normal too! Good job not getting sick -- I'm still holding my breath. :)

Cailean said...

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry!! I unfortunately know exactly how you feel because of the nasty virus running through our house (although only my older girls and I have had it) with ear infections, headaches, etc. I will say we haven't had the stomach flu and am PRAYING we escape that this year. I am so ready for all of us to be OUT of flu season!! I hope things are clearing up for you guys.