Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Braeden's First Practice

Braeden has been pretty excited for his first soccer practice. We went and got all his "gear", and I remembered that my favorite part is that at this age, you can't see any leg yet. We were there a few minutes early, so the boys ran around a little.
Listening to Coach for the first time.
A little bit of stretching
Working hard!
"It was a long day's work, we're headed home for some rest!"
Braeden's first soccer practice was NOTHING like I expected it to be. The kids on his team have all been playing for 3 sessions and have a huge head start with their knowledge of the game. Braeden was quite overwhelmed and I had to calm the tears and fears on the way home because he felt like he was "no good at it." It broke my heart for a 5-year old to feel that way after his first ever soccer practice. I reassured him that he did a great job, and that the other kids have been playing longer than him. It's going to take some time, and some work and explaining at home, but hopefully he'll be able to learn enough to feel comfortable playing with his teammates. Pretty sad, huh, that you feel like you have to talk X's and O's and that he can't just go and have fun. You're talking to someone that has been intense and competitive all my life, but I'm in a different league now, I'm a Momma. In my opinion, the intensity and level of Braeden's team is over the top, but we'll give it a shot and see how it goes. It could be a rough ride, or it could be a great learning experience for him . . . only time will tell. I'm sure y'all will get regular updates!

3 comments:

Robin Conner said...

That is crazy. You'd think a 5 year old wouldn't already be worrying about not being as "good" as his team mates. Sports and parents are so much more competitive now. I'm sure though he'll do great. A few more practices and Mommy helping in the back year (which I know you will) :) And he'll be up to speed. He's smart, he'll pick it up in no time! He looked so cute in his little shin guards. The other pics look good too! I can't believe how warm it is there! We are jealous! It's cold here a lot. This is the longest span of time that my kids have ever wore long sleeves and pants in their lives. Pretty funny! Sorry for the Looooooong comment! Have a good day!

Robin Conner said...

instead of back "year" I meant back "yard". I think you probably got that though, just had to make sure! ;)

christyephillips said...

Poor guy, that is unbelievable. I have been waiting to put my Brayden in soccer until he is 5 too. I hope they're not as competitive in Spoknae. :) Tell him to hang in there, he'll love it just like his momma did.

(I know I am too old to be playing still, but I HAVE to get out sometimes, and I still love it. It does take a while to heal at this old age though.)