Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Need sleeeeeeeep . . .

This is my desperate plea for advice. My 8 month old is STILL not sleeping through the night. Maybe I'm posting this prematurely, because he's been a little bit under the weather and getting a few new teeth . . . but I thought by now he'd be doing better. I don't know if anyone has any advice, but I desperately need him to sleep through the night. Now that we are up early every morning, it's killing me to be up 3 and 4 times at night with the little monster.

He goes to bed very easily, nap times and night time. Around 7:00-7:30, he's down for the night. I lay him down and he puts himself to sleep. He wakes up usually right as I'm getting ready to go to bed (10:30 or so). He goes back to sleep fairly easy with just a pacifier, only sometimes needing to be rocked a little. I try as much as possible not to pick him up or talk to him because I don't want to reward his wake times. Then he wakes up around 2 or 3 more times. He's not begging to eat, he just has a hard time going back to sleep. I usually feed him around 5 and then he's up for good by 6:30. I don't know what else to do. Braeden didn't sleep through the night until we moved to TX at 8 months old, but he was addicted to nursing in the middle of the night. Carsen slept through the night like a champ at less than 3 months old. Maybe I just need to be patient and wait out the cold and teething. But please, don't hesitate to speak up if you've had some success with something.

Here's a clip of what Gaven's been up to for the past 2 weeks . . .

7 comments:

Laura Oler said...

Alicia was like that. Mitch always talks about how hard she was as a baby because of course he mostly remembers the nights... Eventually we started putting her in the basement and letting her cry it out. I now question whether that was the right solution, but we all needed sleep, and amazingly, as soon as she moved to the basement, she would stop crying and usually sleep the rest of the night. I don't know what was up, because she would just cry, even when you got up with her. At 1 she was still having problems, but now she sleeps like a champ (at least from around 15 mos on), so it does get better. Good luck!

s g said...

wow, pushing the walker at 8 months...watch out, he will be walking before you know it.

good luck with the sleeping, yes teething and a cold can create sleep issues, but I am all for crying it out...it isn't the easiest, but it is the quickest. I have done the paci too, but every time you come in, that is a reward in it of itself...does that make sense? My rule is I don't pick them up, I will give the paci and give it 10 min. or so. Watch the clock and put your ipod or TV on full blast...to block out the noise, I guess you can't do that at 3 am. Good luck, I know it is easier said than done, but it has worked for both my kids!

Robin Conner said...

Well you know my advice. I'm a full advocate for letting them cry it out. He's just in a habit that needs broken, the older they are the longer, it takes and the harder they'll cry. That's why I start when they are tiny, so I don't have to deal with it later. But it's hard cause you don't want him to wake up his brothers in the night by crying. Very hard, but the only solution will be to break the pattern and stop being part of that pattern. He'll learn soon. Good luck, but eventually all will work out! I can't believe he is already almost walking. Your kids are turbo fast at that! ;)

Debbie said...

Ok, I know I have the best solution of all...........send him to Grandma. I promise I won't hold and cuddle him. LOL
I do agree with the "letting him cry it out", but I would make sure it's not because he is running a fever and not feeling well first.

Curtis & Dara Williams said...

I love how he was trying to push through the door!! He is just so BIG!! You ned to slow that baby down! How many naps is Gav getting? Landen sleeps so much better because he is getting better naps during the day!!

Colee said...

Just eat him!

Unknown said...

I agree with Colee and Debbie, if he's looking that delicious, just eat him up, but if you can't bring yourself to do that, send him back to Florida. He seemed to like it here! :) What is one more baby around the neighborhood? Especially one that looks like such a grown little boy!