I know the time eventually comes for almost all mothers to send their firstborn off to school. But, nothing can quite prepare you completely for when the times comes. Braeden just missed Kindergarten this year, but we're lucky enough that the district offers Pre-K. So off to Pre-K it was. I layed awake (literally) wondering how in the world I was going to send him on the bus in the morning when he's never been to school or on a bus before. I was trying to justify every reason that I needed to drive him for the first day. I was even hoping that since his bus stop is a new stop this year that somehow his bus wouldn't show the first day, and . . . darn, I'd just have to drive him.
Then I thought, I'd give him the option. He said, "I want to ride the bus so I can see how fun it's going to be." It's settled then, Mommy is just going to have to deal.
So here we are, waiting for the bus. Believe it or not, their Pre-K schedule is the same as all of elementary, 7:45-2:45. This means that he catches the bus at 6:50am, and gets home at 3:25pm (that's why it looks like we're waiting for the bus in the middle of the night).As you can tell, there's no fear in this kid. He has no reluctance to be gone all day. In fact, at one point, he was trying to explain to Carsen that he wouldn't be eating at home anymore. I had to remind him that he would be home before dinner, it was just breakfast and lunch that he would eat at school.
I had a hard time getting my camera out and ready in time to get a picture of him getting on the bus. No kisses for Mommy, no tears, not even a goodbye, a rush for the door in a fleeting moment when all I wanted to do was hold him and say, "Don't go, don't grow up so fast." Letting him get on that bus was to me like letting a huge chunk of my heart walk away to find it's own place in this world. Gone are the days of needing Mommy for everything. . Ultimately, I'm perfectly okay with that. I feel like part of my job in this life is to raise my children to be confident young men, able to do things for themselves, excited for every new adventure. I have to remind myself, he's not going off to college, or a mission, or even getting married, IT'S JUST PRE-KINDERGARTEN, right! Try telling that to my heart.
I must say, I'm not an anxious person, it really takes something big to rattle me. However, watching that bus drive away, and walking away was one of the hardest things I've done in my life, and somehow I know, it's only the beginning!
Braeden arrived home safely, everything went as planned, and his brothers were excited to see him, even though Gaven doesn't show it on his face.
I had a hard time getting my camera out and ready in time to get a picture of him getting on the bus. No kisses for Mommy, no tears, not even a goodbye, a rush for the door in a fleeting moment when all I wanted to do was hold him and say, "Don't go, don't grow up so fast." Letting him get on that bus was to me like letting a huge chunk of my heart walk away to find it's own place in this world. Gone are the days of needing Mommy for everything. . Ultimately, I'm perfectly okay with that. I feel like part of my job in this life is to raise my children to be confident young men, able to do things for themselves, excited for every new adventure. I have to remind myself, he's not going off to college, or a mission, or even getting married, IT'S JUST PRE-KINDERGARTEN, right! Try telling that to my heart.
11 comments:
oh, what a sweetheart!! That really is a long day just for pre-K, wow, I am impressed. I think I will feel just the same as you. Lewis has his first day of pre-school next week, and I am already kind of sad, (but really excited too). It is hard to think things will never be the same again, but we are just doing our jobs, trying to turn these kids into responsible adults!
So beautifully said. I know our time will come much faster than I'm prepared... Great job, Braeden!
Oh!!! Goodness, you have my totally teary-eyed. We're getting ready to send off Elizabeth to 1st grade. We live too close to the school to even have the bus as an option. Isn't it SOOOOOOOO HARD??!!? You said it right - one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life was say goodbye to her that first day of Kindergarten. I was so unexpectedly sad that entire day, bawling away and thinking I would literally die from the emotions. Talk about melodramatic. Then I realized that's what we're meant to do - grow and progress. He looks really cute with his backpack :)
Your first day of school sounds just like mine, sending Katia to kindergarten. She gets on the bus at 8:15 and doesn't get home until 3:45. I gave her the option of driving too, and I was sure I'd done the wrong thing when she hesitantly climbed on the bus that first morning, but she came home all smiles and informed me that I'd said she'd get to be at school all day, but that it was still day and she was already home! She loves school so far. They grow up so fast. I love seeing how excited she is for kindergarten, but we are all having a bit of an adjustment having her gone.
What a brave boy. My girls are taking the bus for the first time too. It is like sending them off all over again. Good job Braeden!
I seriously cried while reading this. Brampton went to Fort Worth with Grandma and Grandpa and I was so sad and still am. I can so relate. I am really going to have a hard time when this day comes. You are so strong. I'm glad everything went well. What a brave little boy!
Oh, what a brave boy. That is a long day, but it looks like he had fun. Grace would bounce right off to preschool too. It made me sad at first, but then I realized that it would be ten times harder if she was sad too, so I just counted my blessings that she was happy to go.
Oh my goodness. I know the feeling, it is sooo hard! I even shed a tear while reading it! ;) Texas schools are amazing, they start the kids out running. Ethan has been doing the 8 hour school day since pre-k too. and now that we're in Virginia, they don't do pre-k and kindergarten is only half day! crazy. But you did good mom! It's harder on us than them I think. You'll notice he'll start picking up some "nice" actions and phrases from school and he'll use them on his brothers! And he'll be more cranky. So much fun! Miss you girly!
Oh Bre, I'm teary-eyed at the thought! Cade is only 15.5 months old, and somehow I know that this is just around the corner for us too. I don't know how I'll do it, but I'm certainly glad to see that it's possible, went well, and that we all have the same "motherly feelings!" Kudos to you for your mothering and your courage.
-Eryn
Hey I found your blog! Your little guys are so cute and very photogenic!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who got teary eyed! I have kinder-phobia too. My first day of kindergarten the bus drove into my drive way to let me off, I waved at my mom and grandma standing at the bus stop ready to greet me and then the bus turned around the other way and started driving off with me still on the bus! Long story short I did make it home, the bus driver didn't realize I lived where I lived but I had to get in some strange man's truck (actually a school employee) who then brought me home. Very traumatic for a kindergartner! I'm glad Braeden had a better day than I did.
Post a Comment