I know that some of you who view my blog know who Rebecca is, and some of you don't. Those of you who don't are missing out. Rebecca was one of the young women at our church for the 3 years that I was the Young Women's president. She's just one of those kids that you don't forget. One of the things I love about her is that she reminds me a lot of myself. That's probably the reason I loved giving her a hard time. I hope that she always knew it was only because I loved her! She was one of the most quietly competitive people I know. I'm outwardly competitive, and most people know it, but her competitiveness was a little different than mine.
We often played sports for activities in YW's. I LOVED playing with Rebecca. One of my fondest memories is when we were playing "indoor" soccer in the gym at church. I don't think that we did a good job of keeping score, but since it was time to head out, I told the girls that the next goal wins. Becky was in the goal on the opposing team. I happened to score on her to end the game. I could see it in her eyes, oh how she hated that the ball got passed her. I just smiled and knew that it would make her tougher!
That was a Wednesday night, and you want to know the first thing she said to me that next Sunday, when nobody else was around? "Why did you have to score on me!?!" Again, I just smiled, because I knew that if it was up to her, she wouldn't let it happen again. (Did I mentioned that I megged her? For those of you who aren't familiar with soccer terms, that means I scored between her legs).
Today, I went to check the mail and I had a letter from Rebecca. She tried out and made her high school soccer team. WAY TO GO GIRL!! I couldn't be prouder. She sent me the sweetest letter along with her soccer picture. I'm hoping that she doesn't mind that I post it here because I'm just so darn proud!
Sometimes you wonder why life takes you in certain paths. When I'm reminded of Rebecca, I no longer wonder.
Oh, and by the way, Becky, the answer to your question . . . because I'm even MORE competitive than you are! I love you, girl!!

2 comments:
She is so lucky to have you as a mentor. Your story made me think of a leader that I was close to during my YW years. I can still recall stories and examples she shared that continue to shape my life. You're awesome! Thanks for posting that.
Oh I'm so proud of her!!!! She is turning into such a beautiful Young Woman. I'm soooo glad you posted this! It almost made me cry to see a picture of her! Thanks so much for sharing. That family was such a neat family and it was so fun to see their girls grow and blossom into such beautiful little women. Thank you again for sharing! Do they have a blog or email? if so, just email it to me, I'd love to say hello to them! Thanks Bri!
Post a Comment