Monday, January 25, 2010

Benadryl Anyone??

Yesterday morning, after breakfast, while getting ready for church, Gaven was scratching at the back of his neck and complaining that it hurt. When we looked at it, we saw that he had scratched and made himself bleed, and that he had a big red welt. We didn't think much more of it until we were at church. Jason is in the nursery with him and when they came in to Sunday school to bring another little one it, he called me over telling me that Gaven wasn't acting himself. When we went in the hallway, I noticed that his eyes were red and swollen and that he was blotchy all over his face. Jason showed me his arms which also had big red welts on them. We decided that we should take him home, not knowing if it was an illness or just an allergic reaction to something. In this next picture, his eyes had already calmed a bunch from what they looked like at church, but you can still see the welts on his arms and a little bit of blotchiness on his face and arm pit.

When we took off his diaper to check out his whole body, his poor little bum had two big red welts on it. You could tell it was super itchy because he couldn't stop trying to scratch.

These were his legs later in the evening. Poor kid!

When thinking back to what he had eaten in the morning that he hadn't even eaten before we came up with two things. He had Corn Chex for breakfast... but when I thought about it later, I think he's had those before in a "puppy chow" mix that I make. The other thing that he had was Nut Roll. It's a treat that Jason's mom makes and sent to us. We're thinking it's either the candied fruit (with dyes to make them the color that they are) or the pecans (not as likely).
Hopefully we can let the reaction die down (he's much better this morning), and then I think I'll try a small bit of pecans with him. If it's not them, I'm just going to assume that it's the candied fruit, and we won't try those. I don't want him to have to go through this again! I know it could have been worse, but still, he was so miserably itchy, that it even made me itch!

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Poor guy. Do you and/or your husband have allergies? Maybe you should have him tested. It may be an illness?

Stephanie said...

Poor baby! We have had many reactions like this! But it is more like eczema for us. Brampton does breakout like that when he eats certain foods around his eyes and lips and his eczema will flare up. We have noticed it with cookies, powdered donuts and some cake. He is allergic to eggs, but not by much. We put hydrocortizone on plus eucerin...along with some zyrtec. :) Hope you figure out what the cause was!