There are some things that change with time and some that don't. One thing that changes is that Mother's Day has new meaning when you are older. Not just because you have kids of your own, or because you get treasured little hand-made flowers from those same kids . . . but more so because you appreciate and love your own mother more and more each year.
There are some things that I will ALWAYS love about you, Mom, and those will never change. Here are some, just to name a few in the LONG list:
1. I love that even though I have lived away from home for almost 12 years now, and managed "on my own" that whole time, when you are around, you still ask me if I have everything I need before we leave the house. Maybe it's all those years that we would get to the game without my shoes, or I would have brought the wrong jersey??
2. I love that you will still do anything for me (or my kids for that matter)... like the time I needed to run two miles and had forgotten until it was late and getting dark, so you got in your car and drove behind me the whole 2 miles, just to make sure I was safe... even if that police man was watching you like you were a stalker!!
3. I love it that you still cry anytime we have to part for any amount of time (even though I know it's more about those grand babies of yours!)... like the time you were dropping me off at college my freshman year and I knew as I was walking in front of you headed for that last goodbye that you were behind me with tears seeping out of your eyes.
4. I love it that when I've lost something very special to me (my wedding ring) you will go through the trash and search my entire house just to help me find it, when we both knew that we probably wouldn't... just like the time when I left my most precious "funny" blanket in the hotel room and you stopped at the nearest payphone to call them and see if they had found it.
5. I love it that you still write me notes that make me smile... just like on my wedding day when you wrote a heartfelt card to give to me that I will cherish forever.
6. I love it how you still show me compassion when I am sick or hurt... just like you told me when I was little, "I wish I were sick and not you."
7. And I love it how you are still my biggest fan... whether it's being there through the difficult birth of my first son, looking into my eyes and saying, "You can do this." Or whether it's reminding me of the important things in life when I feel like I am at my wits end being a mother to three little boys.
I love you, Mom... if there was ever anyone that I could call my hero, it's definitely you!
4 comments:
I love you back!!
That was such a sweet post Bri! Such great things you mentioned about your mommy! She is great! One reason I know this is because you are great and she raised you! ;) Happy Mother's Day! Loved the picture! Great!
What's going on with my mouth???
She sounds like a keeper! Isn't it funny how we appreciate our moms so much more now that we're moms?!
-Janene
Post a Comment