Friday, May 15, 2009

Gav's Surgery

This morning was Gaven's Nas0-Lacrimal Duct surgery (tear ducts). We had to be there at 6:30 this morning. Here we are leaving. When we got there, he found his empty sippy cup in the diaper bag and was a little ticked at me that there wasn't anything in it. He hadn't eaten or had anything to drink since dinner the night before.

I was able to calm him long enough to get another picture while we were still waiting for Daddy and Carsen. They stayed behind to put Braeden on the bus this morning and made it there a few minutes before they started the surgery.

Dr. Psai came in and marked his eyes. Seems a little silly to me, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Obviously, he wasn't thrilled about that, either.

Here's one last picture before they took him back.

I walked him down to the surgery doors and handed him over. He cried, as expected, but I knew it wouldn't be long before he took a few deep breaths of the "happy" gas and he was out. We had about 30-40 minutes to kill while waiting for him to be done.

I can't imagine those parents that wait hours and hours for more extensive surgery on their little ones. I was grateful that was all they were doing to little Gav. I wasn't so much worried about his safety, as you might with another surgery, it was just hard knowing that he wasn't going to be very happy afterward, and might be in a little pain or discomfort.

They wheeled him back down the hall and he looked so little in the big bed! He was still asleep when they brought him back to the room.

It was the sweetest thing ever. I grabbed the camera quickly to take a couple quick pictures because I knew that he was going to be stirring in no time. The nurses were WONDERFUL as you can see in this picture, she has her hand on his back rubbing him. He still hadn't even budged yet.

Within a minute, he was stirring and I picked him up. He didn't have any head control yet, but he was really strong as he tossed and turned in my arms, trying to push away. Eventually he wore me out and I had to hand him over to Daddy. He hadn't really opened his eyes yet, but he was definitely waking up. They told us that he would have the bloody discharge from his eyes and nose for a little while.

About a 1/2 hour after he got back to the room, it was time to take off. He was still very upset, but awake enough and doing fine. Everyone thought he would do much better if we just headed out, so we did. After we got home and he had a little to drink, he was pretty tired and fell asleep on me. You'll have to excuse the bloody face, with him being so snotty and crying a lot, it was almost impossible to keep his face clean. Besides, everyone knows how much babies love having their faces wiped!

He's doing rather well now. He's still a bit irritable... understood! He's been playing and enjoying his toys occasionally. Everything went very well, and in about 3 months, he'll have the little tiny tubes cut and taken out of the ducts and he should be completely back to normal!!
Here's a little video just for kicks!
(I'm sure more pictures of him being a bit more happy to come later)



5 comments:

Robin Conner said...

You did so good Bri. It's so scary when you have to hand over your little one for surgery, no matter how small it may be. I'm so glad he's already bounced back and playing in the backyard in his diaper! ;) lol! They get over stuff so fast!

Cassidy said...

Oh wow. That would be hard for me to do. You go girl. I bet you loved the cuddling time in the afternoon. I love it when they sleep in your arms. I'm glad he's all good and out playing!

Jeannie said...

Glad it all went well! I know it's hard to see them go through surgery, but it's always comforting to see when they recover.

Cailean said...

I am so glad it all went well!!! :)

Unknown said...

I'll bet that's a pretty tough experience but it looks like he's doing great. He's a tough little boy.