I'll put a *WARNING* label at the beginning of this post, just in case anyone is completely grossed out by nasty toenails or even just feet alone. You'll want to skip the first picture if that is the case.
A few weeks back, I had posted about Gaven getting his big toe smashed in the back door. It finally seems as if the toe is healing a bit and the nail is getting ready to fall off. It's really pretty gross looking. The nail is completely dead and you can see under it when you look at the right angle. (*see picture below).
Yesterday, I took Gaven in for an opthamology appointment. He's been having trouble with his right tear duct. Not only does it produce snot, it constantly waters and has goobies all stuck to his eyelashes. His primary Dr. was concerned that he might have a little bit of a blocked tear duct, and it turns out that he probably does. Apparently, clogged ducts are supposed to clear by around 12 months of age. When they don't clear by that time, they usually won't do it on their own and need a little help. Therefore, our little guy will have a minor surgery to open up that duct. I don't think it's supposed to be scary, but even just a minor surgery, especially when they put your little baby completely under, is a little scary. Don't get me wrong, I can completely keep things in perspective. In talking with my mom yesterday, I mentioned that I can't imagine those parents that watch their little ones go through major surgeries and constant complications! I know this doesn't compare!
One of the symptoms of tear duct obstruction is excessive tearing, which he has plenty of. The tears run down the face because they cannot go down the tear duct and out the nose. Mucous, normally secreted by the eye, also does not go down the duct like it should, therefore, coming out the eye. This is a picture that helps to illustrate what they'll do. The picture shows a grey probe, but with Gaven's surgery, they will actually place a tiny, TINY flexible catheter through the duct down into the nasal cavity that will stay for a bit and help to open up the duct. They'll remove the catheter later (I can't remember whether he said 3-4 days or 3-4 weeks).
His surgery will be in about 6-8 weeks.
That's all for now.
6 comments:
The toe doesn't gross me out, but the kids eye at the very end did!! Yuk, at least Gavin is a cute little guy!! Poor RooRoo, he needs Grandma there to snuggle with!! Love that boy.
I agree with Debbie, Roozer needs a Grandma snuggle in the worst way, and so does Grandma! I can't believe all the little things that add up to so much for this little tiger! BTW, you do know that "snot" like that is what gave the idea of "gel" to the hairdressers. How else did they come up with something to make our hair stand up on end??? Love you baby boy!
That is weird, Lucas had both tear ducts plugged and they didn't open up at 12 months. We went back to the eye doctor and he strapped him to a board and they were probed. He screamed like he was dying, but it was an in office procedure and he stopped crying as soon as they gave him back to me. We haven't had problems since. The whole appointment was maybe an hour.
poor Roozer!
Wow so sorry to hear about one thing after the other! Apparently when I was a kid, I had the same surgery/procedure. I tend to tear up really easily when certain things happen - a really beautiful song plays, laughing really hard, etc. I have always thought it was due to my tear duct strangeness. Who knows! However it's done, I really hope and pray he is not uncomfortable and that it's successful!
Hey, that's exactly what they had to do for my sister. I hope Gaven gets a car full of balloons afterward too. And sorry about the kiwi. That wasn't from when we were there was it?
Post a Comment