Monday, March 23, 2009

Sugar, Scares, Sun, Socializing, Surprises & Sweetness

Grandma made the boys some cupcakes and let them decorate with sprinkles. It was definitely a highlight that day! Early in the week, Nanu sent the boys some "deep sea divers." They were really excited to use them, but unfortunately our pool from last summer was a tasty treat for our dog Dakota. So we had a "great idea" to use a bin and put a little bit of water in it. The boys were having a great time. My mom and I were sitting in the house playing cards. I could see the boys out one of the windows and kept checking them occasionally. All of a sudden we heard Braeden scream "HELP!!" really loud. I looked out the window to see Gaven face first in the water with his legs propped up on the side, not able to get out. (I hesitate to tell this story because of how many time Carsen has nearly drowned). I can't tell you how many things ran through my head as I flew out of my chair and out the back door toward the boys. My mom later told me that I was yelling, "GET HIM OUT! GET HIM OUT!" When I got closer I saw him use his hands to push his head high enough out of the water. I got there, got him out, and all is well, obviously. My mom and I were literally in tears thinking about the situation. There are so many other outcomes that could have occurred! First of all, Gaven has the bravest big brother in the world. How a 5-year old can not panic, but be smart enough to yell for help and know that his little brother is in real danger floors me! We praised and praised Braeden for his quick thinking. What would have happened had the boys not been there by him? How long would it have been before I looked out the window? What would have happened had Braeden froze and not known what to do?? As I was running out there to get him out of the water, a million things ran through my head. I had NO idea how long he had been face down in the water. It makes you realize that life REALLY can change in an instant.
Needless to say, that bucket is now empty.

Even though the rest of us enjoyed 4 straight days of over 80 degree weather, Dakota always manages to find the shade.
My mom and I had a great time Wednesday night going out to dinner together. Many of the Radiology Resident's wives got together for a yummy dinner at Olive Garden. It was nice to have my mom all to myself, no kiddie goob all over us!
Grandma told the boys that if they were good boys during spring break, she would have a surprise for them at the end of the week. Yesterday she surprised them with a Wii game called Smooth Moves. The boys LOVE it! Although there was some hesitation because the box is pink!!
Gaven still LOVES Grandma! He went back to his crib, found his paci and blanket, brought them straight to her and held up his arms for her to pick him up.

4 comments:

Serena said...

That is so cute seeing Gaven and his Grandma! Sorry about the water scare with Gaven. I'm SO glad everything turned out ok. Braden was very smart and brave!!

Unknown said...

Big Brothers are often the heroes. Jason saved Jared from being burned by the pancake griddle when he was about 5. It is nice to see that Braeden takes after him and knows when danger is present. I am so grateful for him being that dilligent so that our Roozer is nice and safe! Way to go Braeden and Nanu will be careful what she sends to play with!

Ashley said...

That is so scary! I'm glad Gaven's ok. We had a few scares like that with AJ when he was little. Not fun!

Cailean said...

What a blessing - it is indeed amazing how quickly we see how fragile our lives are here on earth. I am so grateful the outcome was good. I bet Braeden will remember that moment of bravery. Phew!