Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dehydrated

Anyone with kids can appreciate this story. It's our 2nd time at church in our new town and we hardly know anyone. The boys were both sitting on the inside of the pew, closest to the wall. It came time to take the sacrament (the bread first), and I held the tray for Carsen. He ate a piece and then held it for Braeden. Braeden got upset because he wanted to hold it. After a few brief moments of arguing about it (quietly) I gave Braeden the look and told him: "Take one, or you're not going to get one." He quickly took a piece and we passed it back to the isle. Braeden is smart enough to know that if he goes and sits closer to the isle, he'll get to pass the water down when it comes. So the water came, and it was passed all the way to me. This time, Carsen was on the end by the wall, so I had the water and was holding it for him to take one. He tried to grab it from me, but I told him no, to take one while I held it. He narrowed his eyes and furrowed his brow and said quietly, but sternly, "No, I want to hold it." "Carsen, take one, Mommy is going to hold it for you." This time, he gave me the look back without saying anything and without taking a little cup of water. I said, "Carsen, take one now, or you're not going to get one, I'm going to pass it back to Daddy." He continued to just glare back at me. So I said fine, and passed it back to Jason. At the top of his little nasty, grunting Carsen voice he said, "I'M THIRSTY, AND NOBODY WILL GIIIIIVE MEEEE WATER." Needless to say, up until that point it had been quiet. Now the chapel was full of little chuckles and lots of grins . . . From everyone EXCEPT our row!!! Hi, we're the Mann's, nice to meet you!!

8 comments:

Jeannie said...

That's priceless! I love it. What a great way to make an impression! That's right up there with the time that Warren decided to point up at the light fixture in the chapel, and right in the middle of the Sacrament say, "Dad, that looks like a cow's butt!" Top volume is always appreciated in these situations! ;)

Anonymous said...

One day we'll look back at these days and laugh right? Maybe when we're old and reminiscing in our rocking chairs on the porch.

Aimeeable said...

Way to make an entrance! At least that kind of broke the ice for ya. just think now you don't have the preconceived notion that your family is perfect so now you're more approachable. Maybe you should think about increasing your kids' rations of stale bread and water at home.

Cailean said...

That is so hilarious - I think we can all relate but it's always when you want them to be on their best behavior that they somehow manage to do something. Well, one look at your adorable family and they'll realize how lucky they are to have you! We're jealous!

Hillary said...

Definitely one for the journal! You will want to remember that story!

Jay said...

If you don't say what you want life will pass you by.

Cassidy said...

HA HA!!!!

Missy said...

"Hi, We're the Manns, nice to meet you." That made me smile. I can just hear your sarcastic tone of voice!