Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Night in the ER

Yesterday was more eventful than we had planned. We picked up Jason's aunt from the airport and had been home for about an hour when Braeden fell and let out a "bloody murder" scream. He came running to me holding his left hand with his other one. When I moved his other hand away, I noticed that he had sliced his hand pretty bad. Luckily Daddy was home early from school and we called him in to assess the situation.
Yep, we should probably take him in and have it looked at. The pediatrician told us to come to them first and if we needed anything further, they could send us on to the ER.
We got to the pediatrician at 3pm, they got us in pretty quickly and decided that, YEP, we needed to go to the ER for some stitches. So we headed over there...
It's a pretty traumatic thing for a 4 year old to think about having his hand "fixed." Braeden wanted to know exactly how they were going to do it... we decided to let the doctors tell him that. After some Motrin, a popsicle, and lots of numbing shots, the doctor was fast at work "fixing" Braeden's hand. Here are some pictures from today (the day after):

The Dermatologist that sewed him up was a nice young guy who was great with Braeden. Daddy explained that since Braeden was cold, we were going to "wrap" a blanket around him to keep him warm. Little did he know that it was the restraint to keep him still! After the numbing took effect, Braeden was able to relax a lot and if we hadn't been there to see, we would have thought they had given him some LOOPY meds! By this time it was 8:30pm. Jason said something funny, so the Dr. asked Braeden who the funniest person he knew was. This was his response:
"Um, I think it's me because my mom and dad always tell me that I'm pretty funny."

On top of the wounded hand, he came down with some sort of viral infection in his eye. You might be able to tell by the picture above. It was making goop all day long. When asked why his eye was all goopy, his response was:
"Last night, in the middle of the night, my nose taught my eye how to make eye boogers."

Daddy went to the store and bought some supplies to keep his wound nice and clean and dry.

Just like new... ALMOST!!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh boy! That's scary. Not fun at all...I hate the ER! Did you have to wait too long?? I'm glad to see he is doing better and is being such a trooper.

Cailean said...

Oh my goodness that looks SOOOOO painful!! Poor kid! And his sad little face! How nice to have Dr. Dad to help take care of him. I just love his reasoning behind the eye goop.

cherlyn and family said...

My goodness. I hope he is doing okey.