Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Unsuccessful

After hearing the success of a friend potty-training her children with the "2 Day Potty-Training Method", I set out to try it with Gaven. After all, he REALLY doesn't like having a diaper on. I was hesitantly optimistic, but vowed to go for it, all out, otherwise it wouldn't be worth it. The process includes sitting on the potty chair from 7:30-11:30am, only getting up to pour pee in the toilet. Drinking lots and lots of fluids so that you have a lot of peeing occurring in a concentrated time frame. The goal is that they will start to recognize what it feels like just before they go pee. However, in order to keep them interested and sitting, you have to pull out ALL the stops! We watched movies, ate snacks, played Mr. Potato Head, colored, sang, sorted juice lids with stickers, and a few more things about 3x over. The morning was very successful.
After nap, they get to wear underwear and continue to stay close to the potty. You have to make them sit and go about every 15 minutes. The afternoon was VERY unsuccessful. He would sit and sit and sit and not go... then get up and go about 2 minutes later. Sometimes he didn't even realize he was going.
By evening-time, I came to the conclusion that he JUST WASN'T getting it. I think his lack of language and some understanding of language was a huge barrier. He doesn't even really understand what I'm saying when I tell him that we need to keep his underwear dry. I'm not disappointed at all... I didn't really want to potty-train him yet, I figure we'll try again when he's ready. I'm sure this method works for some, it just didn't work for Gaven at this time. It's back to diapers and duct tape and the occasional underwear worn over the top of the diaper to please the peanut gallery.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

With our 3rd, it took us 4 times of trying over a period of about 9 months.

The final trick that worked? I got him a froggy potty that he wanted to feed. It came in the mail and that was exciting in itself.

All in all, I despise potty training.

Unknown said...

love those buns, Roozer!

Unknown said...

I still remember Braeden potty training. He would go at aerobics and come out and tell everyone he just went potty. He really potty trained amazingly fast. Sounds like Gav is making up for it!

christyephillips said...

All that REALLY matters is that he looks adorable in his boxer-briefs! I feel for ya, I have one girl trained, and one not even close. Pretty typical for my twins. :)