Monday, July 13, 2009

Homemade Catapult

We got this great idea out of a magazine that I subscribe to. I've been wanting to do it with the boys for a while, knowing that they would love it! It sure didn't disappoint! In this next picture, Braeden had just scored a 20-point shot, and you can see how excited Carsen is for him!

They played with it for a while and had a ton of fun. I would recommend this to anyone, it is super easy!
Here are the instructions, straight from the magazine:
Made with a spring clothespin, this simple catapult lets kids take aim with paper balls that pose no threat to man or beast. To make the launcher, start with a scrap block of wood (your children can paint it with a colorful hue if they like). Hot-glue a clothespin to the block, and a jumbo craft stick to the clothespin, as shown. Then glue a plastic bottle cap near the end of the craft stick, leaving a short lip for a release lever. Create targets of varying point values using paper plates and markers, and crumple small pieces of paper into balls to hurl. Now aim for the highest score.
We haven't painted our launcher yet, because we were too impatient and wanted to start playing. We also used a regular sized popsicle stick because we didn't have the larger ones. It seems to be working fine, but I will probably replace it with a tongue depressor at some point. If you want a closer look at the launcher, you can click on the first picture. The boys said they want to try different sized bowls for targets at some point. Should be fun!

4 comments:

Cassidy said...

What a fun idea!!

Debbie said...

What a COOL Mommy!!

Robin Conner said...

So much fun! We are going to try the foam snakes from the family fun magazine this month! It should be a big hit! I'm sure I'll post about it! ;)

Cassidy said...

We always ALWAYS have the toilet lid down. I guess she could always lift it up, but it's kinda heavy and she's never even tried. Good to know though, I'll definetly be on my watch! thanks